Lower back pain is one of the most overlooked problems in our daily lives. Almost everyone faces this issue at some point in their lives. Lower Back pain mostly goes away on its own in a few days but becomes a matter of concern when it keeps reoccurring frequently hence we should try and avoid lower back pain as much as possible.
The most common reason for lower back pain nowadays is due to bad posture i.e., sitting in the wrong position for long hours in the office or at work. Other causes include not maintaining a proper exercise routine, sitting for long hours on the couch, stress, or improper lifting of a heavy object. Specific disease or medical condition could also be the cause of Lower back pain.
Lower back pain is more common in homemakers and women, followed by working professionals who do not follow a maintained exercise routine. It is a must to eliminate lower back pains as early as possible to avoid the annoying lingering pain.
Some of the known lower back pain causes :
Muscle or ligament strain – Frequently lifting too much heavy object or weight can cause muscle strain, leading to lower back pain. Sometimes, imprudent movement while lifting heavy objects can also cause ligament strain, which further results in back pain.
Scoliosis– It is a condition in which the spine curves to the side, leading to one of the primary causes of lower back pain.
Sciatica- It is a symptom caused by underlying injury to the sciatic nerve. Its pain is mostly associated with the lower back, which becomes worse while walking.
Degenerated discs and Herniated discs– Also known as a slipped disc or ruptured disc, is caused when the soft tissue inside the disk rupture or bulge and may press on a nerve. However, this condition does not always lead to back pain.
Infection and tumor– Certain vertebrae infections and tumor, when spread across, could cause lower back pain.
Tips to avoid lower back pain:
These simple tips have proven to keep back pain away and prevent it from returning.
- Routine Exercise/Yoga: Exercises can build up your muscle strength, which eradicates the chances of back pain.
- Balance your weight- Eat a balanced diet which helps to maintain your body weight within a healthy range.
- Give strength to bones- Add nutritional food in your diet, which promotes bone health such as green vegetables, dairy products, and nuts, etc.
- Avoid Prolonged sitting: Don’t keep sitting in a single place for an extended time. Instead, take breaks for a walk or so. Prefer working while standing apart from sitting all the time.
- Lift heavy objects correctly: Improper posture while lifting heavy objects can cause ligament strain, which further develops into back pain.
- Stop smoking: Smoking restricts nutrient containing blood flow to spines, which can cause lower back pain.
- Sleep properly: As much as it is crucial to maintain your posture while sitting, it’s essential to do so during sleeping. Improper sleeping posture sometimes leads to much more than back pain such as neck pain, sprain, or frozen shoulder. Also, in some cases, sleep deprivation and insomnia cause back pain.
- Avoid heels and skinny jeans: Too tight jeans, which hinder the proper movement of the body, should be avoided. High heels also put a strain on your lower back, causing back pain problems.
- Avoid too much rest: Taking too much rest to cure back pain is not a wise solution. Keep often moving as motion aids recovery.
Lower back pain treatment
If you suffer from lower back pain, then there are several treatment methods other than surgery. Mostly back pain is cured without surgery if you follow the practices correctly.
- Massage therapy
- Physical therapy
- Chiropractic care
- Steroid injections and pain medications
When to see a doctor?
Although Lower back pain is not a severe issue yet sometimes, it could be an early symptom of some underlying medical condition. Consult a Physiotherapist or Doctor if you have persistent pain for more than three months.
Symptoms of Chronic back pain include:
- Pain becomes intolerable
- Weakness or numbness in the legs
- Causes bowel or bladder problems
- Causes unexplained weight loss
- Pain spreads down one leg or both
How does ZevA help?
Whether it’s been a short term pain or long term condition, no one can have peace of mind with stubborn back pain. ZevA’s trained practitioners such as Doctors and Physiotherapists will visit at the place of your convenience, no matter it’s your office or home. Get treated at the comfort of your home without having to wait for long hours in queues in hospitals.
Our Physiotherapist will visit your required place and suggest you the best treatment possible for your back pain after the assessment.